Helping People in Suffolk Stay Warm and Healthy This Winter
Unbelievable as it may sound, an average of 347 vulnerable people in Suffolk have died each year (2011-2014) from causes directly attributable to the cold and poor living conditions. The vast majority affected are over 65 years old.
This is the tip of the iceberg – almost 30,000 households in Suffolk live in fuel poverty. Many suffer in silence during the coldest months, often hidden from view, withdrawn from the world around.
With the continual support of the East Anglian Daily Times, Suffolk Community Foundation’s Surviving Winter Appeal, now in its sixth year, has already raised over £310,000, and supported over 850 households during the harshest winter months. Lives have already been saved, but there is much more still to do.
With a target of £100,000 for this year’s appeal the aim is to ensure that many more older people of our community don’t suffer from the cold this winter, and this year Suffolk Community Foundation are also supporting an extension to the grant to younger vulnerable households.
Suffolk Community Foundation is asking you to pledge your Winter Fuel Payment to help those desperately in need of extra support this winter.
For the winter of 2020-21 Citizens Advice Ipswich is providing administration for Surviving Winter applications.
The money raised by the Surviving Winter Appeal will be used in two ways:
- Support payments to those who need additional financial help to heat their homes properly, eat properly, stay active and keep in touch with their family and community. The payments will be distributed in partnership with Citizens Advice Bureaux and Warm Homes Healthy People.
- Grants to local charities and groups with a track record of looking after older and vulnerable people to ensure they can continue to provide their support and services throughout the winter months.
To Show Your Support
- Donate by card by calling 01473 602602
- Donate online at justgiving.com
- Donate by cheque – Payable to Suffolk Community Foundation, The Old Barns, Peninsula Business Centre, Wherstead, Ipswich, IP9 2BB
- Donate in Person – head into any branch of Ipswich Building Society
TO APPLY FOR A Payment:
Please note that due to the popularity of the project it may take up to three weeks for your application to be processed. Thank you for your patience during this busy time.
Tel number 01473 298 634