The ‘Help to Claim’ Team
Universal Credit Support
Our Help to Claim service can support you in the early stages
of your Universal Credit claim – from the application,
through to your first correct payment.
Help to Claim is a dedicated service from Citizens Advice.
It’s free, independent and confidential. Our trained advisers can help
with things like how to gather evidence for your application or how to prepare
for your work coach appointment.
How we can help
We can help you by:
- Making sure Universal Credit is the right benefit for you to claim
- Explaining what Universal Credit is, and how it works
- Calculating how much money you should get, and when you can expect to be paid
- Helping you make a claim – either online, or over the phone
- Challenging Universal Credit decisions – for example, if your claim has been refused
- Assisting you to gather evidence needed to support your claim
- Checking if there’s any other benefits you can claim as well, such as help with Council Tax
Coronavirus: Our office is open and we are running our morning drop-in advice sessions, but the number of people we can see each day is limited. Therefore, please contact us by phone if you’re able to do so.
We ask that you please wear a face mask inside the building when visiting us.
Please call the free national ‘Help to Claim’ line: 0800 144 8444 between 8am – 6pm Monday to Friday.
For online advice visit: citizensadvice.org.uk/helptoclaim
Webchat is available on that page between 8am – 8pm Monday to Friday